[TriLUG] fedora 7 & 8 slowness?

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Fri Mar 28 15:26:24 EDT 2008

John Mitchell wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:33 PM, jonesjc <jonesjc at intrex.net> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>  Both exhibited slowness of operation. My laptop which is an intel celeron 1.1ghz processor with 256mb of ram is extremely slow. Once I installed F7 on the laptop, I tried starting firefox (gnome, x-windows). It took more than 30 seconds to start.
>>

> 1) A startup time of 30 seconds for Firefox with Gnome & 256 mb is
> very good, ANY Distro.
>
> 2) Gnome is a memory hog (John gets ready for the Flame War). With 256
> mb you need to get rid of everything you don't need ( try disabling
> Parallel port in BIOS - Samba).
>
> 3) Consider an alternate Desktop, try KDE, see if Fedora has IceWm,
> XFCE, or Fluxbox available as a yum install. You may give up some
> functionality but the speedup can be worth it.
>
> john mitchell

Oh, and you didn't think you'd start a flame war, by suggesting KDE
would be less memory insensitive than gnome  ?  :)  Obviously the other
window managers  are  more lightweight.    And before anyone gets upset
over the kde/gnome debate, I'm kidding, I don't care.  Besides there are
so many other better battles, like the fact that Vi rules!   :)

Matt P.