[TriLUG] fedora 7 & 8 slowness?

Maxwell Spangler maxpublic08 at maxwellspangler.com
Mon Mar 31 01:05:40 EDT 2008

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, James c. Jones wrote:

> I appreciate your thoughts on adding ram to my old laptop.
> Unfortunately, My laptop can only hold 256mb more ( total of 512 ) which
> might improve it some, but I have a speedier desktop with 640mb running
> fedora 8 and it's sluggish as well.

I suggest asking on forums like this for free, spare memory.  I can't help you
with the laptop but anybody that wants two sticks of PC133 memory for free can
have it.  It wouldn't sell on Ebay for $0.95 and I'd hate to see it go into a
landfill.  Free memory can make postponing a new purchase more cost effective.

> I may retreat to an earlier version of fedora and live with it. I don't
> see that I have gained a lot from fedora 7.
>
> My guess that as programmers upgrade their base machines, they don't
> recognize the bloat that appears on older pc's.

The complaint that developers write bigger, more demanding programs and don't
consider the impact on older hardware is one that has been repeated in the
Linux community for over 10 years.  There was a time when everyone was happy
to see bigger programs because bigger programs meant stability and features
(not seen on Linux before but seen on Unix) and Linux software requirements
had not outpaced the hardware people typically have.

I'd guess that around the year 2001 developers made a big shift from providing
basic functionality to more abstract ideas requiring plenty of infrastructure.
GNOME and KDE, for example, may seem to do simple things on the screen, but
the way they are implemented behind the scenes requires quite a bit.  This is
the path we're on and we can't really stop it.  The only way around it for old
hardware is to get off the path and claim some territory.  Your idea to go
back to a previous Fedora and/or customize a distribution down to fit your
needs is the best solution, IMHO.

Just don't blame the developers -- you'll need the features they're working on
in the future and the infrastructure that's appearing to be "bloat" right now
will make it possible.

--
Maxwell Spangler