[TriLUG] Wordpress alternatives

James Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Tue Apr 1 09:03:04 EDT 2008

I do the same.  I use a Wordpress plugin that automates upgrades for me
rather than wait for the Ubuntu repositories update and push new
releases.  At work we use Rollerblog, but I suspect that was to fulfill
requirements of scale since we expect to host thousands of blogs.  Also,
I think we were looking for minimum customization to work within our
existing authentication structure.  Anyway, that's here:
http://blogs.lib.ncsu.edu/

jim

Paul McLanahan wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Randy Barlow
> <randy at electronsweatshop.com> wrote:
>> I used to use Wordpress for a blog a while back, and I remember liking
>>  it (pretty much had the feature set I wanted, no more, no less).  But,
>>  it seems like there have been some major security issues with Wordpress
>>  as of late, and it's even masked in Gentoo because of those.  What
>>  alternatives would you Triluggers recommend?  I've played with Joomla
>>  before, but it's pretty heavy and clunky for my tastes (though it does
>>  have the features I like).  What else should I consider?
>
> Do you need it to be php/mysql? There's a cool package built on Ruby
> on Rails called Typo (http://www.typosphere.org/), but I haven't used
> it personally. I still use Wordpress and am still happy with it.
> Though, I don't use a package manager to keep it up to date. I think
> the pace of web software development and hacking technique evolution
> is a bit too much for the package managers. The recent versions of
> Wordpress automatically notify you in the admin interface when there
> is a new version available. I grabbed my copy using their SVN
> repository, so I just have to switch to the new tag when they release
> and I'm good to go.
>
> Paul

---Jim Tuttle