[TriLUG] Looking for a small Linux

Jason S. Evans jason.s.evans at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 18:25:09 EDT 2008

Hi All!

I've got an older laptop that I've been using since I can't afford a new
one, and I'm looking for a new Linux to put on it, though I think my
choices are few.  Since there are a multitude of distros out there, I'm
hoping there's one out there that I haven't tried.

The laptop is a P3 Thinkpad A20m with a 40G hdd and 256M ram running at
700Mhz.  I'm currently dual booting XP since I can't VPN into work on
Linux and Vector Linux which is based on Slackware.  I've tried both Puppy
and DSL (and DSL-N) on this laptop and they perform wonderfully, but they
are both really darn limited in what they can do.  I'm looking for a
distro that has wifi drivers built in, GCC and some kind of IDE like
Anjuta or Geany because I'm trying to learn C and/or C++, and JRE or at
least the ability to manually install JRE..  I'm not that picky, really.
Vector Linux has all of this stuff, but it's fairly slow and Slackware
doesn't have gnome libraries to install a lot of software that I would
like to use like Anjuta or Codeblocks.  Any ideas?

Jason