[TriLUG] FOSS formats for digital video

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Apr 10 20:06:55 EDT 2008

I give a guest science talk at a local school (same talk
each year). Since I'm taking an on-line course at the
moment, it occured to me that some people outside the school
might be interested in the talk and I could put it on my
webpage. The school has a new looking video camera and is
quite happy to shoot my talk and help make a web version of
it for me. The teacher who has all the hardware can do the
titles and splice images etc into the movie for me, so I
won't have to do any of the editing, which is a big help,
since I don't know the first thing about any of this.

They're a Mac school and the teacher wants to do it in some
format starting with 'i' (itunes, imovie, ibook...?) and
mentioned Quicktime (I don't know if this is different to
imovie, or the protocol under imovie). I said I'd be happy
to have it in Quicktime, but that I can never get Quicktime
to work on my Linux machine and as well I'd like to have the
talk in a format that would work for non-Macs (I'm happy to
have it downloadable in a couple of formats). I mentioned
real, avi, dvx. The teacher looked at some pull down menu
and said "they're all proprietary, you don't want those". I
said they worked fine for me.

I got nowhere and eventually changed the subject.

What format(s) does video come off a modern video camera?

If the teacher does all the editing on a Mac, will the
stream be converted to iMovie format before the editing and
it won't be convertible to other formats post edit? Are
there format converters? How do I get a multiple formats?

What format(s)/protocols are cross platform, or at least
well supported in Linux?

Thanks Joe