[TriLUG] Any Kubuntu/Ubuntu users explain to me why my IDE drives show up as sda?

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Thu Apr 17 16:12:49 EDT 2008

Alan Porter wrote:
> It was my understanding that the PATA drivers were completely rewritten, and
> than they now use a lot of the underlying code that was developed for SATA.
> I think this is a kernel question, and not a (k)ubuntu question.

Yes, this was a kernel change in 2.6.20, IIRC.  I had something to do
with the kernel using libATA drivers for PATA as well as SATA from now
on.  Since the kernel now uses this new PATA/IDE subsystem, which (like
the SATA subsystem) goes through SCSI layer, all drives will show up as
/dev/sd*.  I see this same thing on Slackware, Arch Linux, and Debian as
well.

That's about the extent of my understanding of the issue.  :-)

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Key:  0x0C7558C3