[TriLUG] Any Kubuntu/Ubuntu users explain to me why my IDE drives show up as sda?

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Thu Apr 17 22:41:15 EDT 2008

> Hmm, anybody know if this is actually an upstream change or not?
> Because I am not seeing this change in kernel 2.6.24 on Gentoo with two
> different systems that both use IDE.  Perhaps it's just a patch to the
> upstream kernel that was deployed for Debian and Debian-like systems
> (Ubuntu)?

I'm not sure why, but my laptop (running Ubuntu 7.10) still shows
/dev/hda.  It's one of those things that I noticed, but never
researched any further (because it just worked).

I suppose that we are in a transition phase and that there are
some devices that are still stuck on the old drivers.

Alan

.