[TriLUG] OT: crytographic timestamps

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Apr 18 12:44:48 EDT 2008

I'm writing some proprietary code at home in stages and will
be submitting it remotely. It would be helpful if I could
conveniently show the date that I submitted each stage. One
way I can think to do this is to cryptographically timestamp
it. This in turn needs a trusted timestamp authority (TSA).
The only FOSS TSA project I could find with google appears
to have died (at least from timestamps on the postings).
There are plenty of people selling proprietary TSA hardware.
If it comes to that, I'll just do without.

Alternately I could swipe some time sensitive material from
an on-line news source and cryptographically encapsulate
that in the code. This would give me a "no older than" date,
which is not terribly useful.

I would like this to be as paperless as possible, as I may
need to keep records for a long time (10yrs). eg I don't
really want to go to the Post Office and collect pieces of
paper, saying when I mailed the code.

Any ideas?

Thanks Joe