[TriLUG] network statistics

James Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Wed Apr 23 10:51:14 EDT 2008

I need to transfer a few terabytes over the LAN at work and I'd like to
collect some metrics.  I'll be transferring data from an ATABeast
storage array mounted over fibre channel to a Solaris 10 server to my
Linux desktop over the 100BASE-T LAN.  I'd planned to use tar over ssh
or rsync over SSH.  Tar may be a waste of time since a large percentage
of the files (~85,000/TB) are already compressed images.  I also worry
that tar isn't resumable and I wouldn't be surprised if the connection
gets dropped at some point.

So, I guess I have two questions.  First, what method would others
recommend to transfer the data.  Second, can anyone recommend software
to log things like transfer speed, packet loss, etc?

Thanks,
Jim

---Jim Tuttle