[TriLUG] OT: VPN capable smart phone

Josh Vickery josh at vickeryj.com
Thu Apr 24 09:32:48 EDT 2008

While not a smart phone, the Nokia tablets (770, 800, 810) can all run
OpenVPN, and might be just what you need. You would need to pair it
with a bluetooth DUN enabled phone to get internet access, but I've
found that to be very easy to do with AT&T, other carriers may prove
more difficult.

Another option is a service that AT&T calls "custom APN" and I expect
that other carriers provide similar services. The general idea is that
instead of using the default public access point (APN) the phones
connect to a private one that only carries your traffic. On the
back-end you setup an IPSEC VPN or Frame Relay connection to securely
connect the private APN network to your internal network.

Josh