[TriLUG] [offtopic] Considering a move to RDU area

Jim Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Sun Apr 27 12:47:43 EDT 2008

Your local library probably pays for a subscription to the Cost of
Living Index, which is excruciatingly detailed.  It includes things like
the cost of a gallon of milk, rent per month on a 2 bed, 1 bath
apartment, and cost per kilowatt hour for electricity.  It'll give you a
much better comparison than Joe Random's opinion.

For example, I learned, when considering a job at UCSD/SDSC, that San
Diego is %52 more expensive than the Triangle.  That's a pretty
important figure to have in mind when negotiating salaries and
considering a move.

It looks like UNC Charlotte has only 2006 as the most recent index.
http://jasmine.uncc.edu/search/t?SEARCH=ACCRA+cost+of+living+index
However, they may also have 2007 and 2008 should be in soon.
http://jasmine.uncc.edu/search/tACCRA+cost+of+living+index/taccra+cost+of+living+index/1,1,1,B/crC1106771&FF=taccra+cost+of+living+index&1,1,

Never underestimate the utility of librarians.

Jim

Jim

Jason Watts wrote:
> so... I am considering a move to the RDU area... and am heavily leaning
> towards the yes side.  Having been a member of TriLug for a while (the email
> list) I know there is a rather active Linux community, but I have a few
> other questions.
>
> 1)  How does the cost of living compare to the cost of living in Charlotte
> (for those that have moved from the Charlotte area to the RDU area)
> 2) I have a sport bike... anyone on here ride know what the motorcycle
> community up that way is like?
> 3) as with most things, you can give lots of good reasons to make a move or
> to buy something... but can anyone give me any good reasons to consider as
> to why I wouldn't want to move to the area? eg. shrinking IT industry ...
> assuming it is
>
> thanks,
> jsn

---Jim Tuttle