[TriLUG] rw and ro SSD partitions - Was [Re: [SUCCESS] [eee] post-install, grub OK from external stick but not from internal SSD]

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Apr 29 15:31:44 EDT 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Alan Porter wrote:

> (1) They format the SSD as two partitions: a read-only
> "factory" partition and a read-write "user" partition.
> These are mounted using unionfs.

I've got a WRT54GS running DD-WRT. It has

a writable jffs partition,

a ro partition which I haven't been able to figure out how
to write in case I want to upgrade the device (don't have
the device nearby, so don't know the fs). I can update this
partition using an update tool which downloads files from
the DD-WRT repository, but I don't know how they change to
rw and then back to ro.

a ramfs partition, which gets loaded from files in the jffs
partition on startup (the crontabs are in the ramfs
partition).

At least that's how I think it works. There may be more to
it as files I expected to disappear on shutdown (I thought
in the ramfs) are still there on reboot.

I assume the ro and the rw partitions are using the same
SSD. How are they making one partition ro and another rw?

THanks Joe