[TriLUG] OT: PoE injector/splitter - recommendations?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon May 12 21:22:01 EDT 2008

On Mon, 12 May 2008, Robert Dale wrote:

> You would ground your NEMA enclosure.  You do have one, right?

hmm. It's all indoor (I forgot to mention this, sorry about
that). Do I need a NEMA enclosure for an indoor wap at the
end of 100' of ethernet cable?

> Ground the equipment to the NEMA enclosure.  If your
> antennas are mounted on a mast, ground the mast.  Ground
> your antenna cables.  Check your local laws on what type
> of conduit you should use, if it's metal, ground it.

OK (I assume for outdoor.)

> On the power side, ground your power supplies, switches,
> and anything else that's touching and conducts electricity
> and/or use surge-protectors.
>
> For the truly paranoid, you can use ethernet surge
> protectors and power filters.

I had been wondering if I needed ethernet surge protectors.
At $100 each (times 2 ends of the ethernet), they're more
than the wap. However if I'm going to loose a wap every
electrical storm, then ethernet surge protectos are
essential.

Any ideas if ferrite cores help? I have them at home on each
end of long runs of ethernet, but I have no idea if they've
helped. No-one is claiming them as being useful for
lightning protection.

Joe