[TriLUG] OT: PoE injector/splitter - recommendations?

Heath Roberts htroberts at gmail.com
Tue May 13 09:43:53 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:

> I need to power about 6 WAPs at the ends of fairly long
> ethernet cables, and don't want to use 120V at the ends. I
> assume I'll have a set of injectors where the ethernet
> cables converge on a switch and I'll have a splitter at each
> WAP. There are switches that inject the PoE, but these are
> quite expensive.

I have the big brother to this:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Switches/SmartSwitches/FS726TP.aspx

and have been fairly happy with it. I don't think it's any more expensive
than buying six injectors at $40, plus you won't have 6 wall warts (and
would still have the existing ports free). You can find consumer-priced
access points that have PoE built in, as well.

We use a quite a bit of PoE at work for wireless access points and IP
phones, and as far as I know we've never had any lightning-induced issues. I
don't think this would be any different with PoE than without.

--
Heath Roberts
htroberts at gmail.com