[TriLUG] Looking for jobs... any ideas?

Reginald Reed reginald.reed at gmail.com
Tue May 13 15:41:18 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Phillip Rhodes
<mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk> wrote:
> Michael Ham wrote:
>
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > I am a TriLUG lurker, and I am about to finish up my degree in CIS
> > (Programming focus) in a few weeks.  I am trying to get a development job,
> > but all the ones I see out there want experienced developers.  The problem
> > is that I can't get any experience unless someone hires me.
> >

>  My experience is that smaller companies are more likely to be willing to
> hire a "green" developer, especially if the role is sort of a hybrid
>  role where you're the "general purpose IT guy who writes code, pulls cable,
> manages servers, etc."  If you can find a job like that, you may
>  be able to leverage it into a development job over time.
>
>  A job in QA can also often be an entry route into development.

+1

I suggest this route to many fresh graduates as a way to much more
easily get their foot in the door of a place where they'd eventually
want to get into hard development.  Test engineering just isn't as
sexy as development, so the jobs are generally easier to get.