[TriLUG] Ubuntu migration

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Thu May 15 15:09:38 EDT 2008

Owen wrote:
> I have a new desktop at work and I'm planning on cloning the old hard
> drive (PATA) onto the new hard drive (SATA), mainly to save time on
> reinstalling all the applications I use for work ... would take days, if
> not longer.  I'm planning on cloning the partitions using netcat over a
> gigabit ethernet network connection, with the two computers connected
> directly to each other. Seems like the fastest way to do it, but failing
> that I have a USB enclosure that I'll use to host the source drive.
>
> The question is: any ideas on how Ubuntu (Gutsy) will react to suddenly
> booting into new hardware? Hard drive interface is different, screen
> size will be different (although I will probably carry the video card
> over), processor is still 32 bit Intel. Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
> Owen

As Alan pointed out in another post, check out your /etc/fstab.  If the
old system is enumerating your ide drives as /dev/hda(x) the new system
will probably see your drives as /dev/sda(x).  Although on newer
versions of Ubuntu, they make them all appear as sd drives.  I wonder if
your using labels on drives if it helps mitigate those problems?  I've
had troubles actually trying to switch from IDE to SATA, and it was a
pain.  I think I had to run mkinitrd and rebuild it.

Matt P.