[TriLUG] OT: American Idol last 5 minutes

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Thu May 22 13:47:10 EDT 2008

Douglas A. Whitfield wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 8:25 AM,
> David McDowell <turnpike420 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So if one was to invest in a MythTV box or DVR of some other type -
>> How does one avoid such disaster??
>
> Oh, this is easy.  Record the show after it too. :)

If you know ahead of time that this is going to happen.  You are
forgetting that one good reason to use a MythTV box is to watch shows
on your own time, not the networks.  I didn't watch it until after the
show was over.  By the time I got home after choir practice (9:30) and
started watching, I found out the missing end long after the box missed
the end.  And if I wanted to catch Hell's Kitchen (which would have been
interesting), I couldn't because the time had elapsed too long.  Yea,
I tried back-tracking but to no avail.

If I know ahead of time, I can set the box to record X minutes longer.
But the network schedule already had it going 2 minutes long (1:02)
cutting into commercial time on Hell's Kitchen, so I figured they were
treating it as a hard-cutoff time.

Note for the Indy-500 this weekend, I have it set to record 1.5 hours
long, because the network almost always schedule 1/2 hour to 1 hour
short for this race, and because Indy has been known to have rain
delays.  American Idol was my wife's responsibility.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA