[TriLUG] S/PDIF coax out via USB?

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 13:39:25 EDT 2008

On Monday 26 May 2008 23:36, Michael Hrivnak wrote:
> I am looking for an audio device to use with Ubuntu that connects with USB
> and has S/PDIF coax out.  I could also go with firewire, but USB is more
> convenient.  Suggestions?  This will drive a high-performance 2-channel
> stereo system.

We have an m-audio Fast Track Pro

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro-main.html

It is supported as a device under linux, but is not 100% supported. We needed
to recored in a non standard 48Khz. We were not able to properly record in
Linux (tried just about all distributions).

We use it once a week to make audio recordings for our IVR project. If you
wanted to borrow it to try it out, I would be happy to loan it, as long as
you could pick it up and return it between our recording sessions.

Ron