[TriLUG] OT: how do I know if ethernet cable is plenum rated?

Heath Roberts htroberts at gmail.com
Tue May 27 14:28:15 EDT 2008

I'm not trying to be pedantic, and ordinarily might not even bother with a
followup message, but people on the list manage data centers, and I think
this is an important and potentially confusing issue.

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Steve Holton <sph0lt0n at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Heath Roberts <htroberts at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > "riser" cable is more fire-resistant than "plenum" cable.
>
> Agree.

Actually, this is the part I mis-typed. "plenum" cable is more
fire-resistant than "riser"

> You can use plenum
> > cable in a riser, but not riser cable in a plenum.
>
> You meant the reverse. You can use riser cable in a plenum, but you
> can't use plain-old plenum cable in a riser.  But we know what you
> meant.

This is the part I had correct. You can use plenum cable in a riser, but not
riser cable in a plenum.

It's in section 800.154 of the 2005 NEC, available to read here:

http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_document.asp?id=7005SB

or in the 2008 edition:

http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_agreement.asp?id=7008SB

(there are not well-designed web pages--in the main body of the page, it's
the third link up from the bottom)

There's a "cable substitution hierarchy", figure 800.154, that makes it
pretty clear.
--
Heath Roberts
htroberts at gmail.com