[TriLUG] OT: Guns

Paul McLanahan pmclanahan at gmail.com
Fri May 30 12:18:59 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, for what it's worth I bought my pump action Mossberg for home defense
> and almost strictly for the sound.. that pump action is LOUD when you do it
> fast and let me tell you your blood will run ice cold if you hear that
> noise
> and it wasn't you that made it.  I'd much rather have someone try to break
> in and run away than break in and get shot (or worse, them shooting me).

That is a great point. I would love to have one for just that reason. The
click of a semi-auto pistol's slide is menacing, but not nearly so much so
as a pump-action shotgun. Having them run away (preferably w/o any of my
stuff) is certainly the goal. My main worry w/ actually using it (if it came
to that) is that my understanding is that a consumer shotgun (non-sawn-off
or tactical) doesn't spread the pellets much at all over a distance you
might encounter at home. So my preference is for the maneuverability of a
small handgun over the big shotgun. But that is of course why they make so
many types. To each their own :)

Paul