[TriLUG] OT - TWC bandwidth caps on the way?

Heath Roberts htroberts at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 12:35:39 EDT 2008

Well, I think that where broadband providers have competition, these kinds
of pricing plans will fail in the marketplace.

I wonder if there's been any published feedback from test market customers
in Beaumont.

Also, it's clearly anti-competitive when you can "rent" a movie from TWC for
$1.99, but TWC charges you $4 to download the same movie from the iTunes
store, Amazon, or Netflix. I think if TWC or other cable companies extend
this model, there will be pressure on the FCC to reclassify cable-modem
service from an "information service" to a "telecommunications service".
BTW, if you think the FCC *should* be able to regulate cable companies as
monopoly telecommunications providers, specifically to "provide diversity of
information sources," look up HR4307 and send your representative a note
saying you're opposed.

I think this link should work:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:HR04307:@@@D&summ2=m&

--