[TriLUG] OT - TWC bandwidth caps on the way?

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Thu Jun 5 19:01:19 EDT 2008

Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> I really am not a TWC apologist.  I know they do a lot of stupid things
> and are a huge company with a lot of power in the market.  But I do
> think people need to realize that TWC's idea is NOT unreasonable - now
> we'll see if they manage to implement it in a rational manner.

Thinking about it a little more, it seems to me most of the outrage is
centered around a few memes that seem to be in most folks' brains:

1-- They advertise it as unlimited service; now they'll limit it and
advertise falsely
2-- They don't have any local competition in many areas; we get less for
our money with little or no recourse to vote with our dollars and go
elsewhere
3-- They're not really out of bandwidth; this is a mere money-grab that
they feel they can get away with
4-- Folks downloading movies will compete with their VoD service; this
is anti-competitive and meant to make other VoD offerings more expensive
and less attractive to TWC subscribers
5-- They're limiting by total data in/out without taking into account
any other factors

It's easy to see why it would give a subscribe a bad taste in his/her mouth.

Speaking for myself, I would rather pay more up front and be
rate-limited down to 50% (still usable for VPN, can still download
movies from Amazon or NetFlix or Xbox games) after 50GB than get charged
per-GB.  Or have peak/off-peak taken into account when calculating
usage.  ANYTHING other than just pay-as-you-go extra data.

--bak