[TriLUG] OT - TWC bandwidth caps - Earthlink

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 12:37:56 EDT 2008

Earthlink users ride on TimeWarner cable to their facilities. That doesn't mean that Earthlink users go out the same internet gateways and routers - or that their inbound traffic goes through any of TimeWarners gateways. The major cost of Bandwidth is maintaining that high-bandwidth interconnect to the internet. Local on-net traffic is a thousands times cheaper.

The Cable is a data roadway. While TWC maintains that road and also sells services that use that road, other carriers also use those roads and sell their services along the way. If your services stay local to that road, the cost of delivery is very cheap.

FeatureTel is on-net with TWC and about 40% of our customers travel through TWC's infrastructure to get to our servers. The latency is low and the quality good, because none of the traffic to/from us has to pass through any of TWC's over-used internet gateways.

Jon Carnes