[TriLUG] how do USB disks and USB wifi cards work?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Jun 9 11:30:07 EDT 2008

I have assumed that a USB disk worked something like this

o the USB driver arranged for the USB transport hardware to
deliver whatever was at the end of the USB cable to the OS.
The OS saw a disk and loaded the disk driver code. The OS
talked to the disk without knowing (or maybe not caring)
that an intermediate layer was carrying the bits back and
forth to the disk.

This was fine till I wondered if a USB wifi card worked the
same way. I assume that the manufacturers use their standard
wifi hardware and instead of using a PCI or pcmcia
interface, they put in a usb interface. Presumably then the
standard Linux usb code would handle the usb link, and the
OS would use the standard wifi driver for that piece of wifi
hardware.

However I went to the madwifi webpage to find that they
don't support USB wifi cards (because of difficulties
writing the code). Presumably my model of how USB connected
devices work is wrong.

Anyone fill me in?

Thanks Joe