[TriLUG] how do USB disks and USB wifi cards work?

Ritesh Kumar ritesh at cs.unc.edu
Mon Jun 9 14:10:33 EDT 2008

I am curious, does it take licensing fees to adhere to a standard such as
USB Mass storage or something that Intel or AMD come up with (say AHCI or HD
Audio)? That could be enough of a deterrent. Also, given that most of these
devices are going to be in built in motherboards, there is little point in
paying for the overhead. Of course the cost is delegated to the less
commonly used operating systems.

_r