[TriLUG] ulimit and sudo

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Tue Jun 10 16:37:55 EDT 2008

When not logged in as root, "ulimit -n 10000" results in "operation not
permitted".  However, when I "sudo ulimit -n 10000", I get "command not
found".  I think this is because ulimit is a shell command, not an
executable.  Unfortunately, that interesting tidbit doesn't help me
at all in my search for a solution.

Anyone have a solution to this?  We need to increase the file handle
limit substantially to run our software under some conditions, but we
would prefer not to be running as root to do it.

TIA!
Chris

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services