[TriLUG] Where is Linux today?

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 09:40:50 EDT 2008

I agree 100%. The era of "Windows is better for the home user" ended
sometime last year. Have you seen Vista? It's a nightmare. This weekend my
sister-in-law had me troubleshoot opening Excel docs from Outlook. It opens
blank. She even demoed by creating a new Excel doc with one cell and saving
it to the desktop, closing Excel, and then double-clicking to open the doc.
Blank. Of course we figured out the workaround to use the File->Open menu
every time (Its actually some magic icon in Ofc 2003 with no File menu).
This is typical of Windows: the usability and quality are worse nowadays.

Linux is easier to use for the desktop. I think Mac is a great desktop Unix.
I recommend Linux as its free, has more apps, works great, and is the most
standard OS you can find. Mac is a good Unix distro but so is Ubuntu and
Fedora among others. Honestly, I have only booted my Windows box one time in
the last year to try out some Adobe Flex Builder which is only 1/2 featured
in their Linux version so far. Adobe did not realize the Linux domination
until recently. So, Windows still has special cases; but, for the home user,
basic user, power user, and software developer, Linux really is the best
choice. Ubuntu for the home user who is prone to mess things up. Fedora for
the software developer, in general. A software developer who is not using
Linux is wasting cycles.

Also, Microsoft has lost in the web space. In this space Java as clearly won
for IT. In fact, I interviewed a medium-sized company yesterday who kept
referring to "legacy". I finally asked them what mainframe footprint they
had and they clarified by legacy they meant Microsoft technologies.

Linux is the defacto server for the data center for many companies but many
others are still "Sun Shops", "IBM Shops", or "Microsoft Shops". Heck,
Mainframe sales were still growing even until the end of the 1990's!   In
order to save money one has to learn about new and better technologies. When
you run a government or insurance boondoggle data center then you do not
have to worry about saving money so just fork over $70K, $1M when you could
have just have easily spent $20-$40K. We really are living in the
"Technology Singularity" as the hardware and software power has accelerated
faster than system architects and software architects can adapt.

Linux dominates embedded. I think that is pretty clear. Of course there are
still DOS-based and VxWorks/real-time but Linux looks to be the dominant
force ovrerall. Windows CE? Didn't Microsoft drop the price to like $5/copy
and still get limited penetration!?!

Linux is dominant in supercomputers (over 50% of the top 100 run Linux from
what I remember). See, the argument for mainframes is weaker than some might
think!

If Linux improves anywhere near as much in the next two years as it did in
the last two - and I'm really talking GNU and all the other Open Source atop
Linux - then Macs and Windows will clearly be about as useful as Netware.
Looks like it is happening. The Internet is the largest Open Source project
of all and simply running away with the user base. Did you download your FF3
yet? :-) Oh yeah, if you're on the latest Ubuntu then you are already using
it!  Linux rocks!

TimJowers
P.S> I could go on case after case for how Windows sucks and Linux is
better. E.g. adding a network printer by using he IP address. This is a
really mess and user hostile process in Windows. E.g. what happens on
Widnows once you run out of RAM? Performance goes to pot and NEVER recovers.
Sudo implementation on Vista is just plain retarded. Windows beiung unable
to unmount USB drives or improperly unmounting them! Etc ad infinitum.