[TriLUG] tying applications to specific interfaces?

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 13:35:33 EDT 2008

Hi Greg,

I looked into this a few years ago. I wanted to start apache on nic1 and
have it roll to nic2 if network1 went away. I never got far enough to get
things working. Things I found out:
1) bonding. This is shared nic/bw but requires same router at some nearby
point from what I can tell
2) there were some network layer customizations for Linux but I never got
them to work. From what I remember it all could be setup from userland
3) |Could you  ifdown eth0, start ff, ifup eth0 and maybe ff would use eth1?
4) Apache is not good with two nics. It binds to one by default I think. I
had real troubles with it responding always on one nic rather than the one
from where the message came and/or one with fewest hops.
5) tried flipping around the route add etc to no avail.

So, I'd love to see this done and how to do it but never figured it out.
Seems like there ought to be a kernel module to which one can specify a pid
to control what routers it sees. Or via a conf file. Maybe someone else is a
true network guru on here?

TimJowers