[TriLUG] Where is Linux today?

James McManus jmpmcmanus at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 09:41:26 EDT 2008

Brian Phelps wrote:
> [...]
>> would never consider choosing an Apple Mac running OS X because its
>> proprietary.  (paraphrasing.)
>>
>> So tied into an ongoing discussion about why you don't see things like
>> the Redhat LinuxExpo of the past, I started to engage users in a
>> discussion on whether Linux is stalling [in the desktop environment.]
>>
>> Williams response here is an example of what I was looking for.  Here's
>> a guy who's pro-Linux, pro-open source, etc., and has a long history of
>> working with a variety of technology issues and platforms, so he knows
>> the landscape.  He's optimistic about Linux, but he's using a MacBook at
>> home.
>>
>> That's a vastly different world than ten years ago when people like me
>> were driving to Raleigh from Washington DC to excitedly attend
>> LinuxExpo.  Back then Linux was full of unlimited potential and for all
>> we knew, might grow into something that was capable of powering servers
>> (check!), embedded devices (check), and desktops featuring a Unix
>> backend and an amazingly cutting edge innovative graphical front-end
>> (check.. wait a second?)
>>
>> It's that last part that I was interested in discussing.  Linux did grow
>> up and become a powerful operating system that can hold its own.  My
>> question is whether or not the practical features of Windows Vista and
>> Mac OS X raised the bar and that Linux, despite its advances, is still
>> not good enough.
>>
>> Especially in a Linux forum its easy to consider Vista with its malware,
>> adware, spyware, viruses, initial and ongoing cost and personal dislikes
>> in order to write it off as a crappy operating system.  But chances are
>> if you buy a new shiny computer, all your hardware will be supported,
>> easy access to technical support for hardware issues is available and if
>> you little or no legacy apps or hardware, your experience can actually
>> be pretty good.  So, reluctantly perhaps, lets agree it is still a
>> viable option for the average person, of which there are millions out
>> there making decisions about computers and software.
>>
>> Mac OS X is what really impresses me because it is in functional terms
>> what I always wanted Linux to be.  A solid Unix back end with an
>> innovative front end and hardware that works.
>>
>> I started with Linux in 1993 with Slackware, switched to Redhat at
>> version 3.03 and use Fedora 8 today.  I use it daily as my only computer
>> for home and work.  And I really do love it.  But it is worrisome that
>> in such a short period of time Mac OS X has inherited a large and
>> growing user base with more acceptance on desktops/laptops than Linux,
>> and that Microsoft Vista, despite its flaws will inherit a large user
>> base of millions of users as well.
>>
>> If those operating systems get their act together and keep growing, will
>> Linux be limited in the future to servers, embedded uses and politically
>> or technically motivated users that require free/open source software

It is exciting that linux is now being thought of as a competitor to Mac
and Window, instead of just as an os for servers.  On the flip side this
brings much greater scrutiny, which can be uncomfortable, but in the
long run very beneficial.  I think with greater scrutiny linux will be
able to overcome software issues that effect usability for average
users.  However, one of the greatest barriers is proprietary data
formats, such as video formats.  The current situation where you install
video software without the codec is not good.  Making average users have
to find and then install codec is a huge barrier.  As the internet
becomes more of a Sound & Video portal will the problem increase?  Apple
and MS have strong relationships with the entertainment industry.