[TriLUG] Where is Linux today?

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 13:12:12 EDT 2008

Thanks a great idea William.

"Praises to Bill Gates putting a PC in every home". (I've heard this several
times from people and even seen it in news articles. People believe this
propaganda!)

I'm sure legal will be Windows for a while. I looked at several Open Source
legal apps and they were prototypes/version 1. Comparatively, the doctor
office systems are version 2 or 3. The desktop apps I'd say are mature and
competitive. Or post mature. E.g. Firefox seems to use memory as
inefficiently as Internet Explorer. Maybe its the nature of translating HTML
into GUI components. Probably its lax coding. E.g the PMS (doctor office)
has a clear funding model: clearinghouse. The clearinghouse is a
well-established and profitable market. The Open Source PMS companies I
looked at in the past though were using the service billing model, an
immature model IMO. Infer what you will about Linux but one can surely
compare the success of SAN/SNA to the success of Linux companies and make
some arguments for recurring revenue/product models versus services models.
Heck, I conjecture EMC is one of the most profitable Linux vendors as I am
fairly sure their SNA/SAN runs Linux! They chose the product model. I'm not
sure any Linux vendor has stumbled onto a recurring revenue model in the
spirit of the claims clearinghouse etc. Maybe the offsite hbackup folks.

TimJowers