[TriLUG] Where is Linux today?

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 10:42:19 EDT 2008

Ouch.. could have used a NSFW tag on that one.

> <http://douglasawh.wordpress.com/2008/06/18/a-rant-from-a-friend-about-office-2007/>
>
> Who the hell says Linux can't have a "user friendly" interface:
> http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/5513/1199328595027nn5.jpg

But that said I'm setting up a Debian on an ANCIENT laptop my wife used to
use back in the day.  It's a Toshiba something-or-another with a Celeron
processor.  Sweet.

Now, back to the subject.  Windows can be hard to DISPLACE, that much is
known.  Sometimes you are forced into using a program because a client may
run a windows-only program and you either want the business or not.

Setting up a company without windows from the start is not as difficult.  If
I were going to set up an office today for a start-up I'd identify all the
apps that were required and attempt to find Linux or OS X variants depending
if I were going with Linux or Mac desktops.

Once I got that figured out I'd get a stack of money together and go find
Ben Reed and convince him set it all up for me.  If you want something done
right, pay someone who you know is better than you at it.  :)

Mark Tuner could set up my Asterisk phone server.  And I want soft phones.
I'm sick of not having my office phone with me when I'm not at my desk.

Greg