[TriLUG] log in issues

Douglas A. Whitfield douglasawh at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 00:01:01 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Owen Berry <oberry at trilug.org> wrote:

> Tried just running X, without Gnome or KDE?

I don't know how do do that.  If I do 'startx', GNONE or KDE start.  How do
I make that not happen?

> Is the .Xauthority permissions thing not a case of your file having too
> much authorization granted to other users? For me:
>
> $ ls -l .Xauthority
> -rw------- 1 oberry oberry 564 2008-06-20 19:28 .Xauthority

That's how it was for me, but it was suggested there was not enough
permission so I upped it.  I think the key is

'/etc/gdm/Xsession:Beginning session setup...
setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to
/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default
mkdtemprivate socket dir: Permission denied'

or

'waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath:FPE
"/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing it'

not that I know what any of that means...