[TriLUG] Where is Linux today?

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Tue Jun 24 17:17:26 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:

> My original response was to Jason's assertion that
> OS X was [completely] proprietary (he didn't say
> completely, but I think that's what the implication was).
> I simply pointed out that OS X was not completely
> proprietary.  You can get the underlying OS as
> open source/free software and there is quite a bit
> of free software that runs on it.

There's the problem. I don't think he implied that at all.

I wrote my email precisely because I recognize how much you've put
into Open Source. You have more credibility and weight than most
people (I'd hazard even most people on this list) when it comes to
making arguments about Open Source. That's precisely why I thought it
was odd that your argument seemed to be that some proprietary stuff is
okay if there's a lot of Free stuff in or available for the package,
and furthermore the fight that the Fedora Project is fighting is
"tiresome". If you feel that way, then what hope is there for the
majority of people who don't have the commitment that you do?

I respect and honor the work you've put into Open Source, TriLUG, and
Linux. I'm sorry my post came across as an attack.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"Small acts of humanity amid the chaos of inhumanity provide hope. But