[TriLUG] Vista

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Thu Jul 10 16:05:57 EDT 2008

Absolutely.  Apache is a great example - and it is one of those
real success stories (along with Linux, Tomcat, Subversion and a
number of others).

My point is that from the larger perspective of the business, running
a web server has a cost associated with it. The purchase price of the
OS / server software is only a small part of the TOC. We use CentOS
and Apache.  We pay someone else (on this list) to do most of the
maintenance.  We certainly feel that we're paying less than if we
were running a Windows/IIS server...but not much.  We simply LIKE
Linux/Apache better. I cannot say the same about a lot of OSS stuff.
Bug-tracking solutions for example. Bugzilla sucks. Really badly.
I can't imagine forcing our customers to use that, or any of the
others we've seen compared with Jira. Well, now I'm really off on a
tangent so I'll stop!

Chris

Jason Watts wrote:
>> I think this is a perfect example of how/why FOSS hasn't penetrated
>> into the business world in some places.  I know people here care
>> about how the software is sold or distributed, but as a businessman,
>> I don't give a crap about free or open source. I want good value.
>> I want a solution to a problem that is reliable and cost-effective.
>> That does NOT mean free...because there's no such thing.
>>
>  Yep, I agree to this.  people feel that free means no support, open source
> means the code is available for the hacker's eyes.
>

> but to say this, means your company doesn't like or use Apache?
>

> I know the answer... new free software as well as new paid for software
> needs to go though its testing phase before it is excepted.  and this is
> hard because no one wants to test free when it is half the time poorly
> supported by its creators.
>

> (please don't read this as me saying your wrong or anything of that sort...
> I'm just pointing out a good widely used business level program that is
> fairly main stream )

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services