[TriLUG] Vista

Ryan Leathers rleathers at americanri.com
Thu Jul 10 17:19:48 EDT 2008

Interesting Jim

When I give interviews I ask the candidates their OS of choice. Nobody
has ever selected a Microsoft OS. I suspect the screening process
eliminates these folks before they make it to an interview here. (There
were a couple on staff before I got here) Its not that we have something
against Microsoft. Its just that we look for a certain mindset - an open
source philosophy that extends beyond the applications you use to the
way you work. Folks who share this mind set seem to gravitate to some
type of *NIX. Perhaps the day will come that we'll have a Vista user in
our ranks.

My policy is to let people pick whatever OS they feel most productive
with (I use Ubuntu and OSX myself), but the first time they prove they
can't admin their own box and remain productive in their regular duties
they lose that privilege to the jack-booted authority of a sysadmin who
will give them a centrally managed Ubuntu desktop.  It has been working
pretty well. User and sysadmin alike seem happy and productive with this
arrangement.

Ryan