[TriLUG] Voice over IP information

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Jul 14 13:06:35 EDT 2008

First off, Vonage is not the tough cookie they used to be when it comes to Local Number Portability. The special considerations for VoIP providers are almost all gone.
So don't be too afraid of porting your number to Vonage.

Secondly, I really like Voicepulse, and have for several years now.
http://www.voicepulse.com/
They also integrate well with Asterisk/Trixbox, etc.

Thirdly, I would go with Trixbox (the OS) as it incorporates the best of Asterisk/FreePBX and is fairly trivial to setup. It also has a thriving community of folks that will slap you towards the right direction for any random startup questions... and the PDF doc is quite excellent and assumes you known very close to nothing.

Good Luck, and welcome to the 21st Century of Telecommunications!

Jon Carnes
FeatureTel