[TriLUG] Voice over IP information

Mark Turner jmarkturner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 13:43:54 EDT 2008

FWIW, a Bellsouth tech (one of the few positions in Bellsouth I trust)
once told me that a number can be ported only x number of times, and
that every place its been ported simply points an incoming call to the
new destination. Thus each port also adds a bit of latency to the call
completion (though I can't imagine *much* latency).

I liked Voicepulse when I used them, too. But then everyone found out
about them and my call quality seemed to quickly deteriorate. Also,
Voicepulse charges $11/month for a DID where Vitelity has a plan that
charges $1.49/month (plus incoming minutes at $0.0135/min). I don't talk
much on the phone anymore so Vitelity's cheaper plan works best for me.

The beauty of VoIP is that you don't have to use the same incoming and
outgoing provider, so you are free to use Vitelity's $1.50+minutes DID
and shop for a service with cheaper outgoing minutes if you'd like.

Now, to interface my home's alarm system with Asterisk (yes, there is a
plugin for this)!

Cheers,
Mark