[TriLUG] OT - number of circuits needed

Scott Lambdin lopaki at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 13:12:09 EDT 2008

P=IE.   Will there be monitors?  Here is stuff from the mual:

Power

DC power supply:

Wattage 300 W

350 W (for computers with Intel(R) Core™ 2 Quad

processor)

Maximum heat dissipation 162 W

188 W (for computers with Intel(R) Core™ 2 Quad

processor)

NOTE: Heat dissipation is calculated by using the

power supply wattage rating.

Voltage (see the safety

instructions located in the

Product Information Guide

for important voltage

setting information)

115/230 Vac, 50/60 Hz, 7A/4A

90~135 Vac / 180~265 Vac, 50/60 Hz, 7A/4A

(Japan only)

Coin cell battery 3-V CR2032 lithium coin cell

On 7/16/08, Matthew Pusateri <mpusateri at wickedtrails.com> wrote:

> Dell used to have a excel spreadsheet that would help, you could pick
> the number of each servers and it would calculate power and hvac.
> Looks like it is replaced with this: http://tinyurl.com/etqv2  The
> Dell tech specs tab does list the power supply wattage, which should
> be enough to guesstimate on.
>
> Generally you only want to load a circuit to about 80% capacity.  With
> 300 watt power supplies that works out to about 7-8 300 watt power
> supplies to a 20 amp circuit.   The formula for accurately doing this
> escapes me, maybe someone else will respond before I have time to
> google it.  But basically you want to figure out your power draw.
> Almost all manufacturer's will have this in the devices specs.
>
> Matt P.
>

> On Jul 16, 2008, at 11:53 AM, Glenn Hennessee wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for some advice on how many 20 amp circuits would be
> > needed
> > for the following scenario:
> >
> > 36 Dell Inspiron 530 computers
> > 12 APC 800VA/540 watt UPS (3 530s per UPS)
> >
> > I  haven't been able to find anything on Dell's site as to how much
> > power these systems consume. They are running without monitors so
> > monitors don't figure into the power consumption. I'm sure the APC
> > units
> > will also consume some power but I haven't been able to determine that
> > at APCs web site. Right now all 36 computers (no UPS) are running on 3
> > 20A circuits but it very close to tripping the circuit breakers. I'm
> > assuming the APC units will draw power for their own use as well but
> > how
> > much is the question. I would think that 6 total circuits with 2 UPS
> > and
> > 6 PCs per circuit would suffice but could we get away with 4 total
> > circuits with 3 UPS and 9 PCs per circuit?
> >
> > If anyone has some advice I would appreciate it.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > glenn
> >
> > --
> > Glenn Hennessee
> > Department of Chemistry
> > NC State University
> > Raleigh, NC 27606
> > Voice: (919) 515-2947 FAX: (919) 515-8909
> > Email: Glenn_Hennessee at ncsu.edu
> >
> > --

CILCIL