[TriLUG] OT: Website Administrator position

Paul McLanahan pmclanahan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 10:30:50 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Jim Ray <jim at neuse.net> wrote:
> Now, HTML expert or no, I use Dreamweaver whenever I want to really
> control how a web site looks. It is the only editor I have seen that
> won't screw up the code.

Dreamweaver does have a good code editing mode. But when used in
WYSIWYG mode it too screws up the code; all WYSIWYG editors do. It is
their way.

I much prefer a good HTML and CSS aware text editor to a visual one.
But I've been writing HTML by hand for many years now, and I can
understand the steepness of the learning curve might be a bit much for
the beginner to intermediate web developer. However, I will say that
the best way to get good at it is to immerse yourself in the code. And
there's no better way to do that than to break out Gedit :)

http://grigio.org/pimp_my_gedit_was_textmate_linux

Paul

PS - Drupal++. I've used it for a while now for CMS and for writing
small webapps contained in drupal modules. Once you get over the
learning curve, it's really amazingly powerful. I highly recommend the
book "Pro Drupal Development" by VanDyk and Westgate.