[TriLUG] Anybody using DD-WRT?

Paul McLanahan pmclanahan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 10:25:51 EDT 2008

You got me curious, and a little freaked-out ;) So I SSHed into my
Tomato 1.21 box and found no rules I wasn't expecting.

</sigh-of-releiif>

Still... I see this as a great example of why using a project like
DD-WRT (or any other open firmware) is better than running the default
firmware, even if you don't need advanced features. You'd never have
found the back-door in the default firmware b/c you'd never have been
allowed to use low level tools in a console, and they certainly
wouldn't have responded like the DD-WRT dev did. I agree that it's
still a bit frightening to think about errant code that could still be
in there, but I was glad to see the response from the team, and from
this LUG who was quickly willing and able to search through the code
to find the offending file.

Very cool,

Paul