[TriLUG] WRT54G

Chander Ganesan Chander at otg-nc.com
Fri Aug 1 21:39:10 EDT 2008

Alan Porter wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> You want "Tomato" firmware.
> Contact me off-list.

Or you could go here: http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato .

AFAIK, there is little the tomato firmware provides that DD-WRT doesn't
.  DD-WRT seems to be the dominant Open Source firmware out there, and
actually has good ipkg support - allowing you to install a plethora
(many ;-) ) different packages.  In my experience, it's be rock solid
(note: And not in the Northern Rock way ;-),
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Rock) .

I believe that "White Russian" was the original "code name" for the
OpenWRT released firmware, of which there are numerous forks.  The new
version is Kamikaze, but I don't think than many OpenWRT variants (like
DD-WRT) actually use it (yet).

Pretty much everyone (tomato included) uses the Linksys released WRT54GL
source code as its starting point...

Basically, its a linux distribution designed to run on the WRT54G series
of routers, and related hardware.

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.