[TriLUG] OT: getting liability insurance

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Aug 3 11:25:25 EDT 2008

On Friday 01 August 2008 09:01, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> I'm doing a job where I need to install some extra hardware
> at a remote site, pull cable through the ceiling to connect
> them and check that they all work together. It's a couple of
> hours at the most. (And what I can't figure is why they need
> someone else to do the job - I don't know why they can't get
> a spool of cable, some tools and a ladder and just do it
> themselves - it would be much cheaper and quicker).
>
> The customer wants me to have worker's liability insurance,
> although they don't seem to care how much I have (I assume a
> bean counter just has to be able to tick off a box). I've
> already signed a form saying I won't sue them if I injure
> myself through my own negligence. They want the liability
> insurance incase I damage some of the already installed
> computers. On enquiring about liability insurance, I find
> that the insurance company only pays after I'm sued for
> intentionally causing damage. It doesn't cover just dropping
> a screwdriver on a piece of equipment, which is regarded as
> an accident or acts of god, where apparently I'm not liable.
> Presumably intentional damage is a problem if I'm hiring a
> team of people, who I don't know well, and one of them
> decides to deliberately break something. Anyone know if this
> description of liability is correct?
>
> I don't have liability insurance, as all my work till how
> has just been at the keyboard. I called up Nationwide (with
> whom I have car, life and house insurance) and got a quote
> of $1000. The agent said that I shouldn't need liability
> insurance for this job.
>
> What do you guys do for liability insurance? How much do you
> pay? Since I don't have any intention of causing loss of
> income or damage, should I have a high deductable?
>
> Thanks Joe

I don't take contracts requiring the signature of an indemnification clause, a
noncompete clause, or my providing insurance. Yeah, I lose a few contracts,
but all those things are contingent liabilities that last decades. Who needs
the worry.

If the customer insists, I'd personally charge them the entire cost of a
year's liability insurance. If they balked, I'd walk.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US