[TriLUG] Apache Virtual hosts

Ron Young ronyoung at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 3 20:45:12 EDT 2008

Matt,

What you seem to be saying based on my reading (and obviously not enough
knowledge) describes IP-based vhosts vs. name-based vhosting.

With name-based vhosting I should be able to have a server with one IP
address hosting several virtual web sites based on the Host: header
(whatever that is if it's not the stuff in the address field of my
browser).  This way apache decides which vhost to serve based on the name
rather than the IP address a name might resolve to.

In my case I am limited (I think) to one IP address for my domain as
rendered by DynDNS.

Ron

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Matt Frye <mattfrye at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Ron Young <ronyoung at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> > remember there is no DSN on my local network other than that provided by
> RR.
> > and RR only gets its info from DynDNS and that only knows about
> prismsts.com
>
> Right.  What I am saying is that for named vhosts to work, the host
> name has to resolve correctly.  This is generally done by you when you
> configure that host name in dyndns or wherever.
>
> MPF

Ron Young
919-621-9015