[TriLUG] web authoring packages

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Mon Aug 4 13:16:54 EDT 2008

Dreamweaver ticked me off again by going <tango-uniform> on me in the
editor for umpteenth time ... again. and I have been looking around in
hopes of finding a replacement ... again.
Yes, I was using it on a Winders (XP) machine. Yes the company is
Windows-centric and I have managed to stave off the dreaded Vista upgrade.
I use ubuntu (gutsy and hardy) for servers and my own personal laptop at
the saltmine.

I was looking at a few OSS solutions but I'm getting kinda discouraged
with what I'm finding.

Nvu - Looks to be an abandoned project. The last update was June 2005
and seem to have been taken over by Linspire (another defunct company)

KompoZer - Looks like its a fork of Nvu. There hasnt seen a whole lot of
activity since last year. There is only one developer. I saw one of the
few posts (7-28-08) that there would be a new release in September (has
some big problems).

Amaya - This is the most recent and hottest project I have found so far.
It is been sponsered by W3C.org but I havent seen a whole lot on this
editor.
Can anyone comment on Amaya? Have they used it?

I have been playing around with firebug and some of the web developer
tools on firefox but its a little quirky and doesnt seem to be ready for
prime time to me.

Are there any other solutions out there I have missed

73,
Neil, WA4AZL
JARS Forever!!
www.jars.net