[TriLUG] web authoring packages

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Mon Aug 4 15:49:48 EDT 2008

At 11:53a -0700 on Mon, 04 Aug 2008, Brian McCullough wrote:
>> Failing that, I might suggest a hybrid work model, where you design it
>> basically in Dreamweaver et al., then do the behind-the-scenes touch up
>> with a good ol' text editor and a W3 compliant validator[1].
>
> Of which there are several, although I always rely on the good, old, W3C
> Validators, since I am a bit of a "standards bigot," at least where
> *HTML is concerned.

:-)  The link I posted is exactly that.  It is the same validator engine
that runs on W3C, but packaged as a Firefox plugin.  Hella nice.  Also
includes tidy and accessibility warnings, etc.

http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/

>> Preferably, your text editor is XML aware and has syntax highlighting,
>> etc. etc.  (Eclipse, and jEdit, with plugins both do for sure.  I
>> believe gEdit can as well, but I haven't messed with it.)
>
> I seem to have seen a few occaisions where VI( or more likely VIM or
> VI-Extended ) was definitely syntax aware for these languages.

Eh, most editors have syntax highlighting these days.  I was referring
the XML aware bit.  Like automatic tag closing, recognition, and
first-order correctness checking.  Does Vim have that?  Would be lovely
to have that in my Vim toolbelt, and for geek cred with a couple of
friends.  :-)

Kevin