[TriLUG] Password management software

Paul McLanahan pmclanahan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 10:09:25 EDT 2008

I have tried Passpack in the past as an online passwd storage solution
(http://www.passpack.com/). I've never taken the plunge with anything
important b/c the idea just doesn't sit quite right, but all their
docs suggest to me (the non security-pro) that they're doing it right.
Have any of you tried this site, or do any of you have any reasons to,
or not to trust it?

The reason I'm interested again is that they've released some offline
options that seem pretty cool. Passpack Desktop is an Adobe Air app
that you can use offline, and you can also use Google Gears w/ their
site to use the site itself offline in a browser. So it now satisfies
all of the requirements of the OP (save the admin user). I'm just
still a bit uncomfortable w/ putting sensitive info on a service like
this. But they've been around for a while now, they use AES, and the
passphrase is never sent over the wire, encrypted or not.

http://www.passpack.com/info/tour/

Thanks,

Paul