[TriLUG] Password management software

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Aug 6 18:43:42 EDT 2008

> All kidding aside though... Is it a horrible idea?

Kidding aside, no, this idea sounds pretty good.

In general, though, I just wanted to remind folks that some
of these web-based services (think GMail) might be secure
against outsiders, but you are practically giving your
secrets to the service provider.  And that might or might
not be what you want to do.

Personally, I store my stuff on a LUKS partition on a
thumb drive.  My passwords go into PasswordSafe, stored
on that drive.

Fortunately for me, AES is not like ROT13.  An encrypted
file on an encrypted partition does NOT mean it's actually
stored in plaintext!

Thanks for furthering the discussion.  Passpack does
sound worth looking into.

Alan

.