[TriLUG] Middle School and High School Linux project ideas?

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 12:57:02 EDT 2008

Did you see the two books about Linux Toys or something like that? They have
a neat project to connect an RC car to Linux and then record and playback.
So, get a serious RC truck chasis and maybe you could make a robot which can
do some neat stuff. Man, this would be a fun project.
http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Toys-II-Entertainment-ExtremeTech/dp/0764579959/ref=sr_1_95?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218128031&sr=1-95

Also, you can connect an LED to the serial or parallel port and write out to
it to light the LED. Always a fun one.

Oh yeah, text-to-speech is built into Konqueror I think for reading web
pages. That's pretty cool.  Talking computers are always fun. You could hack
something together to make it look like two computers are talking to one
another. E.g. a kid clicks one of ten phrases in the computer and he says it
and then the other computer answers/responds (through the magic of a
background network communication of course).

Tim