[TriLUG] My EeePC 1000 Review

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 23:05:59 EDT 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Cristóbal Palmer <cmp at cmpalmer.org>
To: Triangle Linux Users Group General Discussion <trilug at trilug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 1:51:36 PM
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] My EeePC 1000 Review

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:10 AM, David A. Cafaro <dac at trilug.org> wrote:
> Ok, I finally received my EeePC 1000 this week and have had some time
> to play around with it. Have to say I love the hardware, very well
> made. This thing is loaded. Though the default Xandros OS is nice and
> well integrated with the hardware, it's not going to meet my needs in
> the long run; I'll be upgrading to Fedora or Ubuntu in the near future.

Thanks so much for this review! I may have to get me a $699 eeepc 1000
from newegg. :)

$699?? Ouch. Most entry-level laptops are $599 nowadays and come with much more hardware. I just saw that Lenovo has an Ideapad with a 15" screen, dual core Intel proc, 2GB RAM, and 160GB HD for $599.

For comparison, the Dell E mini inspiron (http://www.miniinspiron.net/) will start around $299 with a 8.9" screen and the full-blown Ubuntu "Netbook" OS.

Kevin