[TriLUG] My EeePC 1000 Review

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Wed Aug 13 23:19:52 EDT 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 11:05 PM, Kevin J. wrote:
> $699?? Ouch. Most entry-level laptops are $599 nowadays and come
> with much more hardware. I just saw that Lenovo has an Ideapad with
> a 15" screen, dual core Intel proc, 2GB RAM, and 160GB HD for $599.

This is where most people miss the point.  That 15" laptop weights
somewhere around 6-8lbs and has a battery life of about 3 hours.  It's
also big.

The EeePC weights less that 3lbs and has a battery life of nearly 8
hours.  And it's small.  Plus it has 40GB of SSD drive so you could be
running a full file system check on the system while shacking it
around your head with no worries (unless you let go of it while
shaking...).

The EeePC 1000 is not the cheapest laptop, but it is the cheapest
subnotebook/netbook with all the features it has.  You just have to
decide on if the hardware features are what you want, or if one of the
other options out there is a better fit (for maybe a lower price).

> For comparison, the Dell E mini inspiron (http://
> www.miniinspiron.net/) will start around $299 with a 8.9" screen and
> the full-blown Ubuntu "Netbook" OS.

As for the Dell E mini, we're still waiting on the official final
specs and for the release.  Will be curious to know what one spec'd
out close to an EeePC 1000 will cost.  I seriously considered waiting
for the Del, but, well, I couldn't :-).

Cheers,
David